West Family Funeral Services
West Family Funeral Services
visit us
West Family Funeral Services
Take a moment to view our location and become familiar with where we are. You’ll find clear directions, helpful details, and a welcoming space designed to make your visit as comfortable and easy as possible.
Take a Tour
Our Facilities
It was the early 1900's, and Main Street Weaverville was still just a dirt road when Dr. C.P. West, Weaverville's first dentist, and Frank Roberts decided to go into the casket-selling business. The caskets were ordered and kept in a building constructed for that purpose near Dr. West's home on the west side of South Main Street and the south corner of present Brown Street. It was around 1915 that Roberts and West Funeral Home was established. Dr. West died on November 5, 1929, at age 74.
He had been succeeded in the Funeral Home by his son, Charles Glen West, Sr., as manager. In about 1930, the funeral business was moved to its current location at 17 Merrimon Avenue. Gradually, Frank Roberts had given up his interest in the Funeral Home, and (8) years before he died on July 1, 1940, he signed a contract with Glen West, Sr. to sell his remaining interest in the Funeral Home. Mr. West and his wife, Dora, operated the family business for many years. In 1917, Glen West, Jr. was born, and in 1923, Marshall J. "Buster" West was born. They both grew up in the business and were taken away to serve in World War II. After the war, they rejoined their father and mother in the business, where Glen West, Jr., remained active until 1978; he died in 1979. Marshall J. "Buster" West sold his 50% of the business to Gary & Vicki West in 1985, but remained as an advisor until he died in 1990. Today, the business is operated by Gary West, son of Glen West, Jr., and his wife, Vicki, and is the oldest funeral home in Buncombe County.
From its humble beginnings more than 107 years ago, West has grown from a very small storefront building in Weaverville to its current 16,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility, which was built in 1999 to include in excess of 200 parking spaces.








